6/27/18 – Association News

All the planning for the 4th of July fireworks show is completed.  We expect another great show.  A few reminders are in order.  The dam road will be closed for set-up sometime around 5:00 pm on Wednesday and will not reopen until clean-up is done (usually around 11:00 pm.)  Every year we have a few that insist that we open the gates to let them through.  It is not only a safety issue, but it is a legal one as well.  Please provide your guests with alternate routes (Gate 7) to avoid confusion.  The rain date is set for Thursday July 5th.  The holiday schedule for sailing, skiing and PWCs will be in effect on Wednesday, July 4th and the new rule prohibiting more than one skier or tuber will be in affect Wednesday July 4th, Saturday July 7th and Sunday July 8th.  To prepare for the fireworks, water patrol will close the Lake to PWCs at 8:00 pm.  Any questions …. please call the office. And there is still time to donate to the Fireworks Fund if you haven’t already.  We do not use operating funds to pay for the show and the bigger the fund, the bigger the show.  A great big Thank You! to all who have donated.

Last year we had threatening rain all day on the 4th.  Many of the members were concerned about canceling and rescheduling the fireworks.  We used our Facebook page to communicate pretty effectively.  If the same thing occurs this year we will continue to post on Facebook the status of the show.  The decision to cancel and reschedule is a difficult one and won’t be made lightly or as early as many might hope.  I must point out that light rain will not affect our show.  We have a very professional team of shooters that travel a considerable distance to put on what most people believe is one of the best shows in the area.  They start preparing early morning on the day of the show and it takes most of a day to get ready. Also, we are unable to safely (and legally) store the product if the show is delayed until the next day.  Thunder and lightning is a different story.  We won’t shoot in a lightning storm.  Hopefully, Mother Nature will cooperate.

We now have a contract to begin work on the dam road and spillway improvement project.  This project will force us to close the road over the dam for about 2 weeks.  At this writing I do not have the exact dates, but it could happen as early as the publication date of this paper.  Details will be forthcoming on our Facebook page so please stay tuned.  We also anticipate launching the dredge and excavator barge in the very near future.  Its a very busy time so please bear with us.

Submitted by:  Jan T. Olson – Executive Director

If you need to reach me for anything, please email me at janolson@lakelotawana.net or call the office at 578-4272.